Who for: - For people who are confident in their ability to navigate well in favourable daytime conditions, but who need to extend their skills to navigating in poor visibility or at night.
The course is held in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere to encourage maximum learning. If you are serious about improving your navigation skills, you like the great outdoors, especially on the hills, and having fun, then this is the course for you.
Those attending would have completed our Level 1 and 2 courses or have reached an equivalent standard.
Duration: - 1600 to 2100 (all times approx).
What will be covered: -
- The differences between day and night/poor visibility navigation
- The human factors - Sight, Sound, Sensation
- The practical use of relevant navigational skills including:
- Aiming off
- Attack points
- Catch features
- Obstacle boxing
- Confirming your location and giving an accurate grid reference
- Using a magnetic compass confidently
- Using timing and pacing accurately
- Using the stars as a navigational aid.
Method: - A totally outdoor package of navigational and practical exercises.
Terrain and Distances: - 6 to 8 kilometres over semi rough open moorland, initially in the late afternoon light progressing into darkness.
Equipment and clothing: - All navigational equipment is provided including head torches - or bring your own head torch and see how well it works!
Compassworks courses involve outdoor work, sometimes in static locations for prolonged periods, on semi-rough open moorland in variable weather conditions. We strongly recommend the following items of clothing and equipment:
- Base and Mid Layer clothing suitable for the time of year
- Warm additional layers
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Small rucksack
- Hat and gloves
- Walking boots (preferred over walking shoes as they give little ankle support)
- Water container and / or flask
- Spare clothing.
Please note that jeans and trainers are not recommended for use on outdoor events and courses and you may be excluded from taking part in any outdoor activity if you wear unacceptable clothing.
Catering: - You will need to bring your own refreshments.
Price: - Only £55.00 per person.