Who for: - For people who have a good amount of experience of land navigation and are confident in reading maps and using a compass.
An advanced course designed for people who would like to develop their navigational skills to a higher level. Those attending would have completed our Level 1 and 2 courses as well as our Poor Visibility and Night Navigation course or have reached an equivalent standard.
This Course provides the ideal preparation for people who are working towards their Hill and Moorland Leader / Mountain Leader training or assessment courses.
Duration: - 0930 to 1600 on both days (all times approx).
What will be covered: -
- The practical application of all navigational skills and strategies acquired on the Level 1 and Level 2 courses
- Navigation using contour features and landforms
- The practical application of timing and pacing to aid navigation techniques
- The ability to navigate from point to point without the use of a compass
- The use of different scale and publishers of UK maps
- The use of contour only mapping
- Understand the physical and navigational demands posed by Moorland terrain
- The utilisation of ground to map navigation and relocation
- An introduction to common weather systems
- Managing an emergency in a remote Moorland environment.
Method: - A totally outdoor package of navigational activities and practical exercises.
Terrain and Distances: - 10 to 15 kilometres over rough open moorland each day.
Equipment and clothing: - All navigational equipment is provided.
Compassworks courses involve outdoor work, sometimes in static locations for prolonged periods, on semi-rough open moorland in variable weather conditions. We strongly recommend the following items of clothing and equipment:
- Base and Mid Layer clothing suitable for the time of year
- Warm additional layers
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Small rucksack
- Hat and gloves / Sun hat and Sun cream (dependent upon time of year)
- Walking boots (preferred over walking shoes as they give little ankle support)
- Water container and / or flask
- Spare clothing.
Please note that jeans and trainers are not recommended for use on outdoor events and courses and you may be excluded from taking part in any outdoor activity if you wear unacceptable clothing.
Catering: - You will need to bring your own refreshments for both days.
Price: - Only £75.00 per person for a TWO DAY course.