Who for: - For people who have completed our Level 1 course or must be at a similar standard. This intermediate course is designed for people who have gained some experience of land navigation and would like to develop navigational skills to a higher level.
This course also provides many of the skills ideal for individuals who may be considering working towards their Lowland or Hill and Moorland Leader Qualification.
The Course is held in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere to encourage maximum learning. If you are serious about improving your navigational skills, you like the great outdoors, especially on the hills, and having fun, then a Compassworks Course is for you.
Duration: - 0930 to 1630 on both days (all times approx).
What will be covered: -
- The art of ‘coarse’ and ‘fine’ navigation
- Navigational techniques and strategies including;
- aiming off
- attack points
- obstacle boxing
- catching features.
- Obtaining and plotting 8 figure grid references
- Using a magnetic compass confidently
- Physical and navigational factors affecting the choice of routes
- The use of timing and pacing.
- Relocation and simple search techniques
- Factors affecting human performance and the effects of fatigue and physical effort in open countryside and/or extreme weather conditions.
Method: - A mixture of indoor and outdoor activities with day two outdoors all day.
Terrain and Distances: - Day one – 2 to 4 kilometres over semi rough open moorland. Day two – 10 to 12 kilometres over semi rough open moorland.
Equipment and clothing: - All navigational equipment is provided.
Compassworks courses involve outdoor work, sometimes in static locations for prolonged periods, on semi-rough open moorland in variable weather conditions. We strongly recommend the following items of clothing and equipment:
- Base and Mid Layer clothing suitable for the time of year
- Warm additional layers
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Small rucksack
- Hat and gloves / Sun hat and Sun cream (dependent upon time of year)
- Walking boots (preferred over walking shoes as they give little ankle support)
- Water container and / or flask
- Spare clothing.
Please note that jeans and trainers are not recommended for use on outdoor events and courses and you may be excluded from taking part in any outdoor activity if you wear unacceptable clothing.
Catering: - Tea, Coffee and Biscuits provided on day one. You will need to bring your own packed lunch for both days.
Price: - Only £80.00 per person for a TWO DAY course.