Who for: - For people who have little or no experience of reading maps and using a compass or for those who wish to gain more confidence and skills when navigating on land.
The Course is held in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere to encourage maximum learning. If you are serious about improving your navigation skills, you like the great outdoors, especially on the hills, and having fun, then this is the Course for you.
Duration: - 0930 to 1630 on day one and 1000 to 1600 on day two (all times approx).
What will be covered: -
- Understanding the nature of a map as a two-dimensional plan, map legends and interpreting map detail, relief and scale
- Practical use of Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 scale maps
- Identifying handrails and their safe use
- Obtaining and plotting grid references
- Using a magnetic compass confidently
- Understanding grid and magnetic bearings
- Orientating the map to the ground
- Procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency
- The Countryside Code, access rights and responsibilities
- Planning and walking a route and using route cards.
Method: - A mixture of indoor and outdoor activities with day two outdoors all day.
Terrain and Distances: - Day one – 2 to 4 kilometres over semi rough open moorland. Day two – 10 to 12 kilometres over semi rough open moorland.
Equipment and clothing: - All navigational equipment is provided.
Compassworks courses involve outdoor work, sometimes in static locations for prolonged periods, on semi-rough open moorland in variable weather conditions. We strongly recommend the following items of clothing and equipment:
- Base and Mid Layer clothing suitable for the time of year
- Warm additional layers
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Small rucksack
- Hat and gloves / Sun hat and Sun cream (dependent upon time of year)
- Walking boots (preferred over walking shoes as they give little ankle support)
- Water container and / or flask
- Spare clothing.
Please note that jeans and trainers are not recommended for use on outdoor events and courses and you may be excluded from taking part in any outdoor activity if you wear unacceptable clothing.
Catering: - Tea, Coffee and Biscuits provided on day one. You will need to bring your own packed lunch for both days.
Price: - Only £75.00 per person for a TWO DAY course.